Elena

Elena

Saving Francesca - Melina Marchetta This is a people-y book about people. It's full of people. Don't be fooled by all of them being called "people"; they're very different, idiosyncratic ladies. And gents. The jokes in it aren't funny, but that's fine because the characters are teenagers. Teanager's jokes aren't usually funny. The writing is not particularly flashy, but its endearingly asphixiating peopleness puts the light on how genuinely perceptive it is about quirks, traits and how teenagers treat everything like it matters oh-so-fucking-much.

I don't/try not to care much about teenagers and their problems, at least when no gore is involved (heathers. I still love you) because I have no wish for alternative realities about real life in real settings. Why this book then? Well, I was told Saving Francesca was good. It was in fact good. If I could turn back time to when I was twelve years old and always late to class because the school library's lady wouldn't stop talking, I would suggest buying it. It's not like she listened to me anyway.